Thursday, July 12, 2018

Intro to IT - Passed!

I've worked in IT for over 15 years, and in the past I passed an old version of A+ hardware, so I do have some good broad general IT knowledge.  My approach to this course was to first take the pre-assessment.  It was a test the same length as the real test, I passed with about 80%.  Then I looked at the coaching report to see where I got answers wrong and what subjects I needed to study more.  In my case most of my failing was in the area of networks, historically not my area of exposure.  I read through the course modules and did the quizzes for those topics, which took about 3 hours.  I then looked at the course tips and watched the pre-recorded videos for the course, which took about 2 hours.  I took a glance through the course chatter (a chat roll for students enrolled in the course) to see if there were any tips or tricks, but I didn't find anything I didn't already know.  All in all, I spent less than 6 hours over 2 evenings studying for this course, basically brushing up on knowledge and filling in a few gaps.

At that point I felt pretty confident that I could handle the exam.  Everyone is different, I've seen in Facebook groups where those with no IT background have spent weeks studying for this course.  I've read of IT professionals that just turned it on and took the test the same night.  That's the great thing about competency based education.  I don't have to spend time studying things I already know.  I can easily evaluate my baseline knowledge, fill in the gaps, pass an exam and move on.

The only requirement to pass this course was an OA (objective assessment, proctored exam) on my own PC at home.  Time is money and I'm going to move as fast as I reasonably can through the stuff I know, so I can get to the stuff I don't.  Which in my program is most of it, but that's ok.  I'll get through it one class at a time.

I passed with an "Exemplary" 91%!

No automatic alt text available.

No comments:

Post a Comment