Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Do Not Disturb - OA in Progress

Well, my building anxiety surrounding the process of proctored exams was finally explored this evening as I took my first Objective Assessment.

I requested the activation of the OA for Intro to IT from my mentor on Monday, July 9th.  Judy turned it on quite promptly, it was less than 10 min.  I then went through the process of scheduling my exam, all times seemed to be available, even same day if I wanted to.  I scheduled it for today 7/11 at 7:00pm.  Once scheduled it appeared that if I needed to change my date/time, the rescheduling process is easy.

This evening, I turned on my PC at 6:30pm, went to the assessment website, went through the system check to make sure everything was working and then started my exam.  After a 10 min wait, I was finally connected to an exam proctor with the Examity service.  He was very nice and spoke clear English, I could hear there were other workers in his center, all with similar accents.  

We connected via GoToMeeting, which was launched automatically from the Examity platform.  He then requested my "government issued photo ID" (I showed my driver's license), which he seemed to take a photo of via the webcam.  Once he verified my identity, I had to move the webcam in a full 360 to show the surroundings, and specifically the desktop to be sure I had nothing to help me cheat.  He made me turn off my printer and show him both the front and backsides of my blank whiteboard.  He also checked my Task Manager to make sure I wasn't running additional programs.  Once the camera was pointed correctly showing my face, keyboard, monitor and the area around my computer, I had to electronically sign what was basically student code of conduct for exams.  I had to give him remote control of my PC and he entered a test activation code.  

The test began.  There were 3 hours allotted for the test, I was done in less than 35 min.  He was silent the entire test, and the window showing his live video feed was disabled while I was completing the test.  When I was done, I said so, he verified that it was complete, I said thank you and he disconnected.

Then I logged back into my student portal to see if I passed or not.  Good news!!!  I passed, with an "Exemplary" performance (the other options are "Competent" and "Failed").  From the app "Pocket WGU" it said my score was 91%.

Things to note about OAs.  Your desk must be clear.  I have an L-shaped desk with my monitor and keyboard in the "elbow".  My printer is at one end, which I was asked to turn off, and my Cricut machine and a bluetooth speaker are on the other end, I was not asked to do anything with them.  Otherwise the only things on my desk were my whiteboard and driver's license.  If I were taking a math related test a non-CAS calculator is permitted as well.  You can't have any other programs or webpages open on your PC.  I have Rubbermaid bins and craft boxes under my desk, this proctor didn't ask to see under my desk, but I wonder if that would've been an issue if he knew?  Your phone must be silent and out of sight.  The room must be free of noise, all screens (TVs, other PC monitors) must be off and no other people allowed in the room.  I have seen in my research if someone walks in the room during an OA the proctor disconnects and you have to reschedule.  Additionally, if you are 30 min late for your scheduled time, you have to reschedule.

So, yay!!!  I passed my first OA and am very proud of myself.  1 course down and 27 to go.  Now I don't have to worry about the OA process, and hopefully neither do you.  It was easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment