Monday, June 18, 2018

Orientation Schmorientation

It's time to get oriented!  Full disclosure, I historically have little patience for mundane tasks.  I admit it's a personality glitch.  In the case of orientation, all the info presented I anticipated to be things I already knew from my proactive research, but I do understand function of a "required for all" orientation.

My orientation was turned on Friday morning, the 15th of the month prior to my start date.  I was so excited to dive in but dreading the hours of boring videos.  It was supposed to take an estimated 6-8 hours.  It took me 5 hours to complete, 6:30-11:30pm.  You don't have to do it all in one sitting.  It will save your place wherever you stop and there isn't a "save my place" button or anything, you can just X out.

For those wondering, it was divided into 9 modules.  The first 7 were WGU general orientation, how to find things on the website, how to modify your Degree Plan, good study habits, resources, and where to turn for help.  The 8th was program specific, in my case, about the college of IT.  I would've liked more specific info on the college, staff bios, demographic makeup of the student body, job outlook, etc.  It was pretty basic mostly covering things I already knew from my research before and during the application process.  The 9th was a wrap up.  There were some short answer and some multiple choice quizzes over the content along the way along with some "self discovery" activities.

At any rate, I'm glad it's over.  Hopefully I'll be assigned my program adviser soon so we can set my degree plan.  I'm anxious to tweak the pre-populated one that automatically appeared in my student portal.

I was notified this morning that my "Student Success Kit" shipped.  More on that when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment