Sunday, October 6, 2019

C170 - Data Management Applications - In the bag!!!

Did I say I was going to buckle down?  In good news.....I coach an all girls Lego robotics team.  We won first place at the regional NASA Apollo 50 Next Giant Leap challenge in July and a trip to NASA/Kennedy Space Center in Florida.  Between all the excitement of that, back to school, Girl Scouts, robotics team, planning for Florida and some big projects at home and at work, I just got off track. REALLY OFF TRACK!

I started on C170 Data Management Applications in June before I was even done with my last term.  I got bored reading the text and went on to Statistics, which I passed the second week of this term (previous post).  Then I did almost nothing for 2.5 months.  That's HORRIBLE!!!!!!  Wasteful, irresponsible, etc!  There's just so much going on in my life, I struggled to commit and get back in gear.

My mentor was very kind and gave a few well deserved nudges.  I spent about a week really focused on the C170 course material.  I took the multiple choice pre-assessment (practice test) on Thursday and passed just fine.  I took the multiple choice OA yesterday evening, passed just fine.  It was very similar to the pre-assessment.  I took the simulation lab exam just now, and passed 100%.  It is identical to the labs in the course material.  Really!  A WEEK!!!  I could've been done with it 2 months ago!  <bangs head against wall for stupidity>.



What's next?  Well....I have no time to spare at this point.  I have 3 classes to complete in 12 weeks.  It can be done, but I've still got all of my obligations and a week long trip to Florida before the end of term.  So, C173 'Scripting and Programming Foundations' here I come.  I started last night and got through the first chapter and a half.  When I enrolled in this course, I received a link to a 14 day plan for passing the class....um, YES PLEASE!  I need to get this done before I leave in 27 days.  What I've read so far, I could've easily skipped, so I'm hopeful this will go quick.  In a perfect world I will be done with C173 and starting on C859 'Intro to Python' before I go.

Moral of the story, don't be like me and waste tons of time making essentially no progress.  Time is money, and less time equals stress.  But if you do find yourself in a similar situation and you just can't dig yourself out, contact your mentor, they will help you with goal setting and motivation.  Remember why you're on this adventure.  And remember, if you don't show ANY progress (at least logging in and viewing course material) in 2 weeks, you'll get a warning letter.  At least, that's what is supposed to happen, there's a new policy on it at WGU.  I always did at least did that much so that wouldn't happen to me.

One more down!  17 classes to go.  Credit wise, including my transferred credits, I am at the half way point.  60 credits left out of 120.

1 comment: