Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Cha-ching!

Well, we all know college is expensive.  A bachelors degree can cost tens of thousands of dollars.  In the case of WGU, which is cheaper than most, worst case you're looking at about $28,000-$31,500 for 4-4.5 years.  It's not exactly chump change.

For comparison, my local community college is about $2,200 for a 13 credit semester.  This doesn't include books, lab fees, tech fees or online course fees.  So, for a 2 year associates degree, you're looking at at least $8,800 plus books (several hundred every semester) and the other fees, so probably close to $11,000.  Unless you're in an online course (there aren't very many) you have to drive to class and have your butt in a seat.  Most courses are during business hours and aren't conducive to non-traditional students with jobs.  The nearest 4 year university is about $3,500 for a semester plus books and other fees.  So we're back at $28,000 plus books and fees, easily another $5,000.  So around $33,000 for a bachelors degree.

Back to WGU, the cost per semester (less than $3,500) includes all materials, e-books, flashcards, CBTs, etc and there are no additional fees.  I can attend class in my pajamas on the couch, in bed, on a road trip, wherever.  The tuition is a flat fee, regardless of how many courses I choose to complete in a 6 month term.  I can take 5 courses instead of 4, or in a great term maybe 6 courses, which over time reduces the number of terms I'm paying for school.  It also includes about $2,000 worth of certification exam vouchers.

What's my bottom line?  Ultimately at this point, undefined.  But I do know this....I don't have to take 7 courses due to transfer credits, that's almost 2 terms worth that I don't have to attend.  At the moment, I'm thinking my program will take 7 terms (3.5 years), it may take less.  3.5 years = $24,500.  My employer has a great tuition reimbursement program, $3k/year, that's $12k I don't have to worry about, so we're down to $12,500.  Here's where it gets fuzzy, I have (will) applied for scholarships, about $3k worth in total, and I'll hunt for more.  If I'm fortunate enough to get them, that would take the total cost of my degree down to $9,500.  So, for somewhere between $9,500 and $12,500, I can get a bachelors degree, almost as little as a traditional associates degree would cost.

I'm not in love with the idea of $9-12k in student loans, but it sure beats $31,500.  Looking at it from the starting gate, it's a great value.  With my new skills, the return on investment should be moderately quick.  A much better picture than what faces most college graduates these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment